ZocdocAnswersI am having a recurring yeast infection. What could it be?

Question

I am having a recurring yeast infection. What could it be?

I have been with my fiance for 7 months now and out of those months. I have had a recurring yeast infection after I have my period. I have been to a doctor several times and have gotten pills and cream to take care of the infection. I have changed my diet as well. Two months into the relationship I stopped taking birth control. Around the time my yeast infections started. So far i have taken a test for HIV and diabetes and both have come back negative. I have started taking birth control again. And so far nothing is helping. I cant keep going back to the doctors and spend more money just to have the yeast affection again the next month. Please help. I don't know what to do or what to take that can stop the recurring yeast infections. I'm going crazy cause I have never had this problem before in my life. I have always had a healthy vagina.

Answer

This sounds like a frustrating situation. I suggest that you continue to see your doctor or gynecologist as needed if you experience continuing symptoms. The majority of yeast infections are caused by the yeast Candida albicans. Symptoms typically include itching, which can be quite severe, irritation, and whitish, thick discharge often with a 'cottage-cheese' like appearance. The treatment of this includes an anti-fungal medications. Recurrent yeast infections can occur for a number of reasons. It is important to be tested for HIV and diabetes as you were, as these are important risk factors. Birth control pills with higher doses of estrogen, antibiotic use, and while controversial, pads or tampons, can lead to yeast infection. If your symptoms tend to occur after your menses, it may be worth considering an irritation as a result of pad or tampon, that is not necessarily a yeast infection. Yeast infections can also be caused by different species of Candida yeast, which can be resistant to the typical treatment. For this reason, a vaginal culture may be performed to identify the species and medication sensitivities of the Candida. Importantly, there are other vaginal infections that can mimic yeast infection in some ways. Two additional common infections include bacterial vaginosis (BV) and trichomonas. Symptoms of BV include vaginal discharge with a fishy odor, while trichomonas often causes green-gray discharge and cervical irritation or tenderness, and can be a cause of pelvic inflammatory disease. These can be diagnosed in a physician's office, during a visit. It is important to distinguish these infections from yeast because the medications used for treatment are different for each. If you continue to have symptoms it may also be helpful to see a gynecologist.