Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I am a man and I have boobs. How to reduce them?"

ZocdocAnswersI am a man and I have boobs. How to reduce them?


is it possible to excise?


Thank you for your question regarding male breast tissue, a condition known as gynecomastia. The management of gynecomastia depends on several different factors, such as its cause, how long it has lasted, and the severity. Therefore, it is very important that you work with your doctor to come up with a solution that is best for you. Your doctor will help you identify whether there is a reversible cause for the growth in breast tissue. Often, medications can be the culprit and simply discontinuing these can reverse gynecomastia. Spironolactone, a medication used to treat high blood pressure has a high association with gynecomastia. Antiandrogen medications used for treating prostate cancer can also cause gynecomastia. Your doctor will also want to identify whether you have an underlying medical conditions such as hyperthyroidism which could be the cause of gynecomastia. Treating the medical condition will usually lead to resolution of gynecomastia. In men whom there is no identifiable cause, and the gynecomastia is tender and has lasted over 3 months, a medication known as SERM (selective estrogen receptor modulator) may be effective in shrinking some of the breast tissue and alleviating tenderness. However, it is unlikely that men will see complete resolution of gynecomastia with SERMs. Finally, for men with gynecomastia over one year, surgery may be the best option as the breast tissue has hardened by this point and will not respond to medications. Please speak with your doctor to determine if a reversible cause may be the source of gynecomastia or whether surgery may be the best option for you.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.