Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is my body shutting down?"

ZocdocAnswersIs my body shutting down?


I'm hypoglycemic. I'm 14 and 5'9, very athletic. I feel like my body is shutting down. There is no food that I can eat and keep down. No meat, eggs, beans, tofu, peanut butter, most nuts, anything. My only protein source is cheese. I practice sports everyday for at least 3 hours, depending on the day of the week. I feel like I am shutting down. My blood sugar is off the walls. I have been high a few times (blood sugar), and my doctor tested for Type 1 Diabetes and it came back negative. This just doesn't make sense.


So sorry to hear about this difficult situation. It certainly is confusing when an otherwise healthy person presents with such serious problems as malnutrition, nausea, vomiting, and high blood sugar. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Fortunately, there is almost always an answer that can be had. Unfortunately, the process can sometimes be quite long and hard, and does sometimes require patience. There is much additional information that is needed to help in these difficult cases. Diabetes testing can be done in several ways, but if you have had the formal testing that looks at how your body responds to a fixed dose of sugar and that was negative, then you may need some additional testing before you come to the answer that you are looking for. Many different things can cause nausea and vomiting, and so that symptom doesn't really help to pinpoint where your problem is without more information. Your very active lifestyle can sometimes provide some clues, but additional testing would be needed to know if that is related at all. If you have tried everything with your local doctor with no significant improvement, there are times that meeting with a specialist could be helpful. Perhaps a pediatric gastroenterologist or endocrinologist could be of assistance, but please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.