ZocdocAnswersDo I have diabetes or heart problem?

Question

Do I have diabetes or heart problem?

Hello, I've suffered from anxiety/panic disorder for 2 years. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night with night sweats, dehydration, a racing heart, and a strong urge to urinate. I'm a 23 year old male, with blood pressure at 127/80, 150 pounds, 5'9", and an otherwise healthy individual. I've never had a history of heart or diabetes problems but I worry that I do. Is this indicative of another condition? I also get a tingling sensation in my back a lot as well during the day whether I'm anxious or not.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. You will need a thorough evaluation by a primary care physician to determine the cause of your various symptoms. A panic disorder can certainly cause episodes of tachycardia, palpitations, and sweats. It is somewhat atypical that yours occur while asleep, and I recommend you discuss these with a qualified physician to make sure this is the correct diagnosis. Arrhythmias, or abnormal heart rhythms, can also cause a rapid heart beat. Common examples include atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and AV nodal reentrant tachycardia. You will require an EKG, possibly followed by an exercise treadmill test or 24-hour EKG monitor, to determine if this is what you are suffering. It is difficult to attribute your racing heart and urge to urinate to one diagnosis. Increased urination can occur in urinary tract infections, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, or simply from drinking too much fluid before bedtime. Other symptoms of diabetes include weight loss, fatigue, and increased thirst. A simply blood test can determine if you have diabetes. Again, it is difficult to attribute your back tingling to one of the other diagnoses mentioned. Given your multitude of symptoms, you should arrange for a full evaluation by your primary care physician.