ZocdocAnswersI am having small amount of blood in my urine, flank pain, extreme fatigue, brain fog, low fever and nausea. What could it be?

Question

I am having small amount of blood in my urine, flank pain, extreme fatigue, brain fog, low fever and nausea. What could it be?

I've had frequent UTI's and this doesnt feel the same. My mother has a genetic defect where her ureters are too short and would often get UTIs as well as a result. I'm Female and 26

Answer

You mention that you have frequent urinary tract infections (UTI), so I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms more in depth and have a clinical exam. UTI can occur anywhere from the opening of the urethra to the kidneys. UTI are more common in women in general because the urethra is shorter when compared to men. Frequent UTI's can cause many problems. A possible explanation for your symptoms is pyelonephritis or a kidney stone. Pyelonephritis is an infection of the kidneys. Your recurrent UTI's put you at risk. Patient who are suffering from pyelonephritis can experience flank pain, nausea, fevers, and even blood or discharge in the urine. Another possibility is a kidney stone. A stone could be lodged in the ureter which connects the bladder to the kidney. It is associated with pain, nausea, and hematuria (blood in the urine). It is usually one sided. Again, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discussed your symptoms more in depth and have a clinical exam. Your doctor may obtain a urine sample to rule out infectious causes of your symptoms. They may even do blood tests. Depending on your physical exam, they may want to perform an imaging study. If you experience continued fevers and cannot take in adequate fluids, you should go to your local emergency room.