Is it okay to take Prednisone again?

I have eczema, I went to the emergency room and the doctor gave me 20mg of Prednisone and Hydroxyzine 25mg. After 2 days, my eczema cleared up and 8 days later I'm out of Prednisone. After 5 days of getting off of Prenisone, my eczema is acting up again. I have no insurance/unemployed to see a doctor and I just need to get some more Prednisone. Mother who also have eczema have supplies of Prednisone (10mg), will it be okay if I take her meds? Hydroxyzine is not working for me even though I take it 3-4x a day.
The best thing to do is to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist. I would say that oral prednisone is not a good answer for eczema in any patient. While I agree that prednisone would be quite effective at reducing the symptoms of eczema there are much better options with much fewer side effects than oral prednisone. Thus, the answer to your question is no I would not recommend taking your mother's prednisone for your eczema. The standard treatment for eczema is a topical steroid. Therefore you're getting the same medication just like prednisone into your eczema but instead of acting throughout your body causing side effects it is only acting at the site of your irritation. There are many different types of topical steroids some of which can be purchased over the counter. You can purchase 0.5% hydrocortisone over-the-counter though it is unlikely to work for you eczema. It just isn't strong enough. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she will be able to make sure that it is in fact eczema that you have. In addition, you can get a prescription for a high potency steroid which can clear up your problem very quickly without the side effects of a systemic (orally taken) steroid such as prednisone.

Nearby Dermatologists