ZocdocAnswersMy throat hurts on the left side, my chest hurts and my whole body is achy. What is wrong with me?

Question

My throat hurts on the left side, my chest hurts and my whole body is achy. What is wrong with me?

Can you tell me what is wrong with me?

Answer

So sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult for me to say with any certainty what is wrong with you without some more information. That is why it is important for you to speak with your doctor. For example, some common causes of throat pain include infections and trauma. Some common infections, such as a strep throat infection, can also be associated with feeling run down and ill. Mononucleosis is another infection that can result in throat pain, body aches, and even chest pain in some situations. Trauma can be common in the throat, as from eating certain things, but it is less likely to be associated with chest pain or whole body aches. On the other hand, body aches are often a sign of something that is affecting your whole body, such as a viral infection, an auto-immune condition, or something more serious. Some of these things can also cause or be associated with a sore throat as well, and so it is important to work with your doctor to know what is the reason that you are having the symptoms that you are having. Fortunately, there are some tests that can be used to provide rapid answers to exclude some conditions very quickly. Again, please speak with your doctor.