ZocdocAnswersI have found a small left supraclavicular lymph node that is 0.5 cm one and a half years ago. Should I continue to obsess and worry or can I let this go?

Question

I have found a small left supraclavicular lymph node that is 0.5 cm one and a half years ago. Should I continue to obsess and worry or can I let this go?

I have found a small left supraclavicular lymph node that is .5 cm one and a half years ago. It is mobile and has not grown in the year and a half that i knew it was there. I have had two physicians feel this node and neither were concerned due to its size and they felt no further investigation was warranted unless it spread to other nodes or became larger. The Internet has me freaked out saying supraclavicular nodes should never be felt and always warrant further investigation.

Answer

You've done the right thing by involving your doctors. You're right that in general supraclavicular lymph nodes are not normal and can, under some circumstances, be a sign of malignancy (i.e. Cancer). However, in an individual case the likelihood of the node being a sign if having cancer depends on your overall likelihood of having cancer. If you are young, healthy, and doing well, specifically, eating well, not losing weight, continuing to have normal amounts of energy and functioning well at home and at work, it is less likely that this node signals an underlying malignancy. If you are overall doing well the likelihood of finding something real on further work-up is low, and could cause you unnecessary testing and more anxiety and stress. I would continue to monitor the node and to be in good communication with your doctors about monitoring the node as well as about general age-appropriate cancer screening. I would also make sure the you periodically check other lymph node sites and encourage your doctor to monitor those as well. Beyond that, the internet is not likely to be helpful since those sites are general and don't deal with the details of your specific case. Again, please speak with your doctor.