ZocdocAnswersDid I have a miscarriage?

Question

Did I have a miscarriage?

is no heartbeat at 7 weeks signs of a miscarriage. No heartbeat at 6 weeks as well as no yolk sac 7 week no heartbeat but yolk sac and fetal pole

Answer

The typical time for a heart beat to be detected in a growing fetus is about five weeks. Plus, if you are truly at seven weeks then there is a possibility that you had a miscarriage. The other possibility is that your estimation of how far along you are is incorrect. This is based on the date of your last mistral period, so you would need to be absolutely sure of that day to be sure that you are seven weeks. I think the next step for you should be to schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. He or she will want to draw your blood and look for your beta hCG level. This level is critical in determining not just whether or not you are pregnant but whether or not that pregnancy is thriving or failing. If the beta hCG level is low and/or dropping, that suggests a miscarriage. If it is high and rising, this means that the fetus is viable. If this is the case then perhaps the heartbeat is going to be detected on the next ultrasound. If it is determined that you had a miscarriage, then you will need to have an ultrasound to look for any retained products of conception. Some women, though certainly not all, will need to have a dilatation and curettage to remove any of the products of conception the did not become expelled on their own. I hope it all turns out well, and please speak with your OB/GYN.