ZocdocAnswersIs it possible to have a surrogate carry my fertilized egg with little to no cost?

Question

Is it possible to have a surrogate carry my fertilized egg with little to no cost?

I am a 21 year old girl. I cant carry to full term. However I don't want the child now, and I cannot abort.

Answer

I understand that this is an emotional and stressful situation for you. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an obstetrician, who can discuss the options available to you. It is not possible to discuss all the options without knowing how far along you are in the pregnancy. In general, surrogacy is a procedure by which a fertilized egg is implanted into another woman's uterus. The surrogate essentially serves as the host for the pregnancy with plans for the baby, once born, to be cared for by the individual who paid for the surrogacy service. As a surrogate must deal with the weight gain, doctor visits, delivery, and other details of pregnancy and child birth, they typically are paid thousands of dollars for this service. If you are pregnant but do not wish to carry the baby to term, there are several other options for you. Depending on how far along you are, the "morning after pill" is an option. This essentially induces abortion through a surge of hormones you take via pill. You can also undergo an outpatient procedure to terminate the pregnancy. These are very difficult decisions with potential health consequences for you. I strongly encourage you to see an obstetrician to discuss them further.