What is this lump behind my ear?

Since I was like 3 I have always had this lump behind my right ear. My parents took me to the doctors and they said it was nothing and it would go away. I'm 18 now and its still there its about the size of a nickel and it doesnt hurt but sometimes it gives me a headaches and gets about the size of a quarter. Its more oval shape then circle. I heard it could be a lymph node but dont they go away? And ive had this for 15 years! Help!
Thanks for your question. While the fact that the lump has been there for more than 15 years can be reassuring in some ways, you are right to question why it is still there. So I recommend that you speak with an ear nose and throat surgeon. In general, these sort of things will declare themselves over time, but that does not seem to be the case in your situation. So let's review some of the most common possibilities. First, just to get it out of the way, is the concern for cancer. Most cancers don't behave this well, and so that would seem to be unlikely. As will all lumps, however, the possibility exists until it is removed, and so it is necessary to speak with a doctor. Next, lymph nodes are common, and can appear almost anywhere. They are usually oval in shape, and can swell and shrink based on infections in the surrounding tissues. That is certainly a reasonable thought. Next, fatty tumors known as lipomas are quite common, and can grow slowly or be stable. They are usually quite squishy, and can appear anywhere. While these are some of the most common answers, speaking with an ear nose and throat surgeon will help you further. Please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. William Cohen
    Dr. William Cohen DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2501 E Chapman Ave
    Orange, CA 92869
  • Dr. Jonathan Berman
    Dr. Jonathan Berman MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    670 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723