My 2 year old woke up with a fever of a 104.2. Should I take her to the ER or wait to take her to her doctor?

My 2 year old woke up with a fever of a 104.2. She is breathing heavy, fast heart rate, and she is stumbling around.
Thank you for your question. By the time you get this question, I hope that you will have reacted to the symptoms that you are describing and will have spoken with your doctor. In most of these cases, the safest thing is to speak with a doctor immediately. Your primary care doctor or pediatrician will almost always have someone available to answer phone calls in an emergency or an urgent situation, and he or she can direct you about what to do next. There are times that a fever, even a high fever such as you describe, can be part of a known illness running its course. There are other times that additional symptoms, such as lack of balance, orientation, or confusion can be very concerning symptoms. In some of these conditions, time is of the essence, and a delay in treatment can be life threatening. Speaking with your doctor by phone is often an effective way to determine if you need to go to the emergency room. If you are in doubt or unable to reach your doctor, then proceeding to the emergency room is always the safest bet. Please speak with a physician about your question as soon as possible.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024