Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"If I have surgery to remove scar tissue in my intestines would it create more scar tissue?"

ZocdocAnswersIf I have surgery to remove scar tissue in my intestines would it create more scar tissue?


I have a bowel blockage in my intestine because of scar tissue. The doctors want to remove a section of my intestine to remove the scar tissue. But the problem is I'm scared that I'll only end up with more scar tissue and back in the same situation at the hospital with a tube down my nose.


I am sorry to hear about your medical situation, and I can only imagine how scary this is for you. In order to provide an accurate recommendation on your management, a doctor would need to be able to review your entire medical history and perform a detailed physical exam. In addition, the doctor would need to review your prior imaging studies. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to make an accurate recommendation. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a general surgeon. From what you are describing, it sounds as if you have developed a small bowel obstruction due to intraabdominal adhesions. Often following prior surgery, inflammation in the abdominal cavity leads to scar formation. These scars can adhere to the bowel and cause obstructions. In some cases, it is possible to simply cut away the adhesions in a procedure called lysis of adhesions. In others, depending on the anatomy of the bowel and adhesions, it may be necessary to also remove a section of the bowel. Surgery itself is a risk factor for developing adhesions, so it is certainly possible you could develop recurrent adhesions with another small bowel obstruction in the future. I strongly encourage you to see a general surgeon to discuss your options.

Need more info?

See a surgeon today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.