Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How do I get a stink bug out of my ear/nose/throat sinus cavity?"

ZocdocAnswersHow do I get a stink bug out of my ear/nose/throat sinus cavity?


I swallowed a stink bug accidentally about 4-5 weeks ago. It feels as though it's stuck behind my uvula or in my ear/nose/throat cavity. I can feel it move towards the light when I shine it in my throat or ear. It also moves when I smoke a cigarette. I have tried throwing up and putting water in my nose and out of my other nostril. How do I get it out?


I am sorry to hear that you swallowed a 'stink bug' 4-5 weeks ago and that now you feel as though it is still inside your nose moving around. I have taken many foreign bodies out of ears, noses, and airways, but never a stink bug. I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT or Ear Nose Throat physician to get evaluated. They will be able to take more of a history, examine you, and perform a flexible nasolaryngoscopy. This is an in office procedure where they pass a small fiberoptic scope through your nose to evaluate your nasal cavities, nasopharynx, pharynx, hypopharynx, and larynx (voice box). These are all of the cavities from nose to your voice box. If there is a foreign body present (such as a bug), they will be able to see it. I don't want to discredit your thoughts and feelings, but I doubt that there is a bug present in your nose anymore. I don't doubt that there may have been initially, but it is highly unlikely that it would have stayed in there for 4-5 weeks. It is more likely that you had a bug fly in there initially, and it irritated the mucosa (lining within your nose), and then even after the bug is gone, the lining may be continually irritated. Nonetheless the ENT will be able to examine you and tell you for sure if there is any foreign body present. Best of luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.