ZocdocAnswersI have a lump on the side/back of my neck. What could it be?

Question

I have a lump on the side/back of my neck. What could it be?

Medium sized lump on side/back of neck. With NO pain but an increase in bad headaches

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have developed a lump in your neck and that you are starting to develop bad headaches and you are worried about what might be going on. I am happy to give you some thoughts about what could be going on, but since I cannot examine you in this setting, or take more of a history, I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with a doctor to get evaluated. I recommend starting with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. They will be able to examine you and tell you if the lump in your neck is anything to worry about, and whether it needs more work-up. They should also be able to tell you if it is at all related to the headaches, and if not, refer you to the appropriate doctor from there. While it is possible that the two problems (neck mass and headache) are related, often headache is non descript and can be caused by many other problems. However, if for instance the lump in your neck were a muscle spasm, then you could have excessive muscle tension in your neck which could trigger a muscle tension headache. the ENT should be able to tell you if this is what is going on. Best of luck.