Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why am I having pelvic pain? "

ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having pelvic pain?


Hello, I am 24 days late for my period. I'm sexually active and not using any form of birth control. I have taken several HPTs. The first few were very faint positive and all the tests after that have been negative. I've been experiencing a sharp pain in both my ovaries. It isn't constant and tends to change sides. I'm also having lower back pain that extends into my legs. I've also been extremely fatigued with spells of dizziness. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have an appointment with my OB/GYN tomorrow but I'm feeling anxious to get some ideas of what could possibly be wrong.


You have pelvic pain. You are late for your period and you are sexually active. You have taken some home pregnancy tests. There may be several conditions that could explain your symptoms, so it is important that you make an appointment with your ob/gyn doctor. The possible conditions are pregnancy or pelvic inflammatory disease or ovarian cysts or endometriosis. You have taken several pregnancy tests with questionable results. You may benefit from a blood pregnancy test. Pelvic inflammatory disease can cause pelvic pain. It can be caused by sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea or chlamydia. Since you are sexually active, you should get checked for STD's. You also mention that you have ovarian regional pains. Ovarian cysts can grow on the ovaries and cause pain. It can worsen with your menstrual cycles. Also, a condition called endometriosis should be ruled out. Endometriosis is when cells in the uterus grow outside of the uterus, such as your ovaries. It can cause pelvic and back pains. You should make an appointment with your ob/gyn doctor as soon as possible to have your symptoms evaluated. Your doctor will get basic labs and possibly imaging such as an ultrasound to have a better look at your ovaries and uterus. If you have a sudden large gush of blood from the vagina or develop fevers, you should go to your local emergency room.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.