ZocdocAnswersI have a lump on my genitalia. What do I have and how to treat it?

Question

I have a lump on my genitalia. What do I have and how to treat it?

I have a lump under my genitalia and it is not hard, but it does not move around and it is skin colored. It is sensitive. .I also have a pain in my left buttock and it is very sensitive. It is hard to sit down. Both of these problems started last week.

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding a lesion on your genitalia. It is difficult to know what might be the source of this bump without being able to see it in person. Therefore, I encourage you to visit your doctor who can perform a proper physical examination and ask you more questions about your medical history. There can be several causes for genital bumps. STDs are one possibility, if you are sexually active and not using protection. Genital warts can look like small bumps the color of your skin or may be cauliflower-like in appearance. Herpes can also look like bumps or vesicles, fluid filled round blisters that can burst and leave behind painful ulcers. There are also benign conditions that can appear as bumps, such as a cyst. This is especially common if the genital area is being shaved. Often, warm compresses and time will lead to clearing of the cyst. Other times, the cyst might become infected and require opening and drainage by a medical professional. As far as the pain in your buttock, it is difficult to say without being able to inspect the area. It may be possible that you have another lesion there, related to the one in your genital region, which can explain both lesions. Please visit your doctor right away who can better assess the cause of your problem.