ZocdocAnswersI have pain in my left foot heal. What do I do to reduce the pain?

Question

I have pain in my left foot heal. What do I do to reduce the pain?

I think it's due to overweight but I am not sure about it.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain in the heel of your foot. This certainly sounds like it could be interfering with your daily life. For this reason, I encourage you to visit your primary care doctor who can help determine what might be the cause of your symptoms. It is difficult to say with certainty what might be the problem without being able to perform a physical exam and ask you more questions about your symptoms. One thing that is important is to determine the exact location of the pain. Is the pain on the underside of your heel or is it in the back of your heel? Pain on the underside of the heel can be caused by a condition known as plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a thick band of connective tissue under your foot which connects the heel to the toes. This tissue can become inflamed from repetitive stress, in the case of runners or those who are overweight. Plantar fasciitis can cause a stabbing pain with each of your steps. Achilles tendonitis is when the back of the heel hurts. This occurs when the Achilles tendon (the connective tissue which connects your calf muscle to heel) become inflamed. Achilles tendonitis typically causes more gradual, achey type of pain which worsens with increased activity. Treatment is dependent on the degree of your symptoms and the severity of the injury. Please see your primary care physician who can best advise you as to the management of this pain, which may involve referral to a podiatrist.