ZocdocAnswersI have a 28 year old daughter who cannot eat without throwing it back up. How can I help her?

Question

I have a 28 year old daughter who cannot eat without throwing it back up. How can I help her?

She is diabetic, just had a baby 7 weeks ago, had gal bladder removed, has kidney stones, had mri and lower and upper gi ran. nothing found

Answer

Throwing up food and/or drinks can be caused by a number of different medical conditions. Some of these conditions can be very serious and I would recommend seeing your doctor in person to discuss some of the possible causes listed below. Difficulty swallowing or keeping food down can be caused by a problem in any of the structures leading to the stomach and those just beyond the stomach. The first organ to consider is the esophagus. The esophagus is the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach. Sometimes people develop blockages in the esophagus that make it impossible for them to swallow food. You can also develop an outpouching in the esophagus that causes food to get stuck before making it to the stomach. Lastly, a mass or tumor in the esophagus can prevent foods from passing through. If the stomach itself is irritated, a person may not be able to tolerate ingesting significant amounts of food or drink. Irritation can be caused by an ulcer, inflammation of the stomach called gastritis or a mass or tumor in the stomach. It is not possible to diagnose the condition without seeing a doctor. I would recommend seeing your general doctor or a gastroenterologist for further evaluation.