ZocdocAnswersI am weak after a severe nose bleed. What is wrong with me?

Question

I am weak after a severe nose bleed. What is wrong with me?

Hi I'm 24year old female Yesterday morning I for the first time got a nose bleed that lasted 40mins after I felt weak and like that feeling you get just after pins and needles then I got a slight headache in the front of my head it have never had a headache in my life it's now a day later and I still feel weak and tired ,, should I be worried?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad nose bleed that lasted about 40 minutes, and that you are worried about what might be going on. I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated (otherwise known as an otolaryngologist). they will be well suited to examine you and determine what might be causing your nose bleeds. There are many different causes for nose bleeds, some are more worrisome than others. Thankfully the most common causes for nose bleeds are generally benign and relatively easily treated. Nonetheless, if they occur frequently enough, or if the nose bleed lasts for long enough there can be a fairly significant blood loss that can ultimately lead to an anemia (low red blood cell count). This could definitely cause you to feel fatigue despite the fact that the nose bleed has been stopped for a while. A simple blood test (checking your hemoglobin and hematocrit) can tell if in fact you are anemic. The ENT should be able to examine you and help figure out why you had such a bad nose bleed, and they can also check your blood count to make sure that you aren't anemic.