ZocdocAnswersI am not having my period after mirena removal. Is this normal?

Question

I am not having my period after mirena removal. Is this normal?

I had Mirena for about 1.5 years. My husband & I decides we want to have another baby. I have been breastfeeding for the past 26 months (only 1-2 times a day now) during that time ive had some spotting but only one real period before removal. I had light bleeding the day after removal. I expected my period on December 3, but hasn't happened yet. I have taken 2 home pregnancy tests and both negative. How long should I take for a period to return regularly? Will my period still he irregular because of breastfeeding? I am trying to follow the Dr. Sears Method on how to have a girl. Thank you!

Answer

Most women start having their periods shortly after having the Mirena IUD removed, so I recommend that you speak with your OB/GYN. This type of IUD does have progesterone hormones and thus prevent periods from occurring regularly. However, once it is removed the hormones are removed with it. If you are still breast-feeding, then this is the most likely reason that you have not regained your cycle. During breast-feeding, the pituitary gland releases large amounts of prolactin which result in milk production in the breasts. Prolactin is also a potent inhibitor of gonatotropins FSH and LH which are necessary for cycle regulation. If you are attempting to have another baby, the first step will be to transition your child off of breast milk. At the age of 26 months, this is certainly very appropriate. On a side note, despite what you may have read, there is no reliable method of timing intercourse to favor one sex over another when pregnancy is achieved. The chances of you having a girl versus a boy is always 50-50. To discuss your attempts at getting pregnant and the need to regain your cycle for regulation, I would suggest that you schedule appointment with your OB/GYN. He or she is the best resource for these types of issues. Good luck.