Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have lower back stiffness. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have lower back stiffness. What could it be?


Hi, about 3 months back i was exercising (doing pushups) and i think i over streched my lower back. It has never been painful but stiffness from the lower back going down to all the way till my tail bone and my hips. I went to the the doctor and i was given muscle relaxants and incobal. But it is still the same. One day it is good the next day it is the same. I do jog for 30 mins alternate day from the past month and it gets well afterwards. Can you please advice what i have to do for healing this? Help would be appreriated. Many Thanks.


This is a good question. It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your ongoing symptoms and have a repeat history and physical. You didn't mention if you had any imaging done previously. If not done, an x-ray of your back might be ordered. If you already had an x-ray, your physician might order additional imaging, such as an MRI, depending on what is found during your visit. Back pain is very common and can be very aggravating as your back is used during almost every activity. There are many causes of back pain, from muscle strain, herniated discs, to spinal cord stenosis. You may need another round of medications such as anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants. Your doctor will also likely refer you for physical therapy. This can be very helpful for those with chronic low back pain. You will be taught proper mechanics for lifting, bending, etc, and will be given a series of exercises to do on your own between visits. Again, it is very important to follow up with your doctor to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment. In the meantime, do gentle back stretches every day and stay active.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.