ZocdocAnswersIs it possible that a UTI will cause me to not conceive?

Question

Is it possible that a UTI will cause me to not conceive?

My husband and I are trying to conceive a baby. We have been trying for about 6 months now. We started using ovulation testing so we don't miss our time to conceive. I ovulated on 12/3; we made sure to have sex a couple days before and after. We are really praying we conceive, but yesterday I felt like I had a UTI. I went to the doctors and had a mild UTI and was put on Antibiotics. I'm worried now that I have a UTI my body will attack anything not normal. Is it possible that a UTI will cause me to not conceive?

Answer

A urinary tract infection is typically not a condition that will prevent conception. However, if you were significantly ill when you had the urinary tract infection with symptoms of fever, chills, and fatigue, then you might have had a more difficult time conceiving. This would be true for any kind of infection, not just a UTI. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. If this UTI did interfere with your ability to conceive, it would have only been true for this particular month. I doubt that you had a urinary tract infection for the full six months that you been trying. It is possible that there is some other reason why you have not been able to conceive. However, it is also possible that you have just had some bad luck. Because conceptions sometimes take normal couples many months, doctors do not pursue fertility work up and treatment until a couple has attempted to conceive for at least 12 months. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. The two of you can discuss the best method to achieve conception. Certainly part of that equation will be using the ovulation detector that you did use and timing your intercourse every other night around several days before and after. Good luck.