ZocdocAnswersI have red rash in the groin are. What could it be?

Question

I have red rash in the groin are. What could it be?

Male with red rash in groin area both sides two week cream not working washing regular. Looks like dots under the skin and sorer in the evenings

Answer

You have a red rash on both sides of your groin. It could be caused by a number of things; however, I cannot say for certain since I do not know your medical history or able to perform a physical exam. That is why I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor. Rashes bilaterally can be a sign of fungal infection. Those areas where the thigh meets the lower abdomen can create a space that traps moisture and sweat which can create an environment for a yeast infection, also known as jock itchy. It sounds like you may have tried a cream though you did not mention what it was. If it is a fungal infection, you should keep the area dry and clean. The other causes for rashes in that area could be from shaving if you do shave, which can cause some irritation since it is rubbing against skin. The other causes could be from infection if you are sexually active. It isn't as likely since you mentioned that both sides of the groin are affected. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have this rash examined. They could prescribe other medications for you if needed. They could also take some skin scrapings to determine if it is a fungal infection.