Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will a cut in my eye scar?"

ZocdocAnswersWill a cut in my eye scar?


I accidentally scratched my eye.. It is really red and I can kinda see the cut. It feels irritated, I am not rubbing it because I do not want to make it worse. I know it will heal, I am just worried about scarring. Will the cut scar?


That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a doctor specializing in eye care such as an ophthalmologist. There are several types of injuries to the eye, and each has a different prognosis so it is important that you see a doctor who can assess the injury you have sustained and decide how severe it is and what type of treatment you will require and whether you will have any issues related to it. Your doctor may prescribe drops to help with the irritation or other forms of treatment and keep a close watch to make sure that it doesn't get worse. If you notice that your vision is deteriorating, you are having clouding of your vision, or worsening of the redness or pain, or have an increase in the number of floaters, these are all alarming things and would suggest that you should see a doctor sooner rather than later. Although it is likely that this will improve as you mentioned, your vision is very important and so it is important to be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible to make sure that you this injury is not serious.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.