My knee pops out when kneeling down - I straighten it out and it pops back. What is happening?

sometimes when i kneel or crouch down my knee will pop. it feel locked and is uncomfortable not severe pain - but makes your eyes water. i straighten my leg completely out and it pops again, after that it is a little tender for the next few days. 19 year old female and this has happened about 10 times over the last 4 years. what is it that is causing this? one of the last times it happened it was V painful and stiff for the next couple of days.
I am sorry to hear about your knee pain, and I can imagine it is difficult to deal with this issue at such a young age. In order to provide accurate recommendations on your knee pain and management, a doctor would need to fully review your medical history as well as perform a thorough physical exam. You may require additional testing. Therefore, I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon to discuss this further. Only after obtaining this information will the physician be able to help your symptoms. The knee is a complex joint with many different structures controlling its movement. It is possible you are suffering from a patellar dislocation. This is when the patella, or kneecap, slides out of its normal position during certain movements. Treatment often consists of strengthening exercises to help prevent this slippage. You may have also suffered damage to one of the ligaments that help control the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. Surgery is often required to correct this damage. Damage to the meniscus, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint, can also cause pain and popping of the joint. I strongly encourage you to discuss these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons