ZocdocAnswersMy left jaw line by my neck really hurts when I touch it and it feels bumpy. What could it be?

Question

My left jaw line by my neck really hurts when I touch it and it feels bumpy. What could it be?

Hiya, I'm fourteen, female. I have a high temperature, a flemmy cough, a sore throat (sometimes) and im losing my voice. I've noticed whenever I touch my left jaw line, it feels bumpy and there is a sharp pain when I touch it? the left side of my mouth is ripped up badly and swollen inside because of my sharp broken braces, maybe that has something to do with it? If you know what this is, please tell me.

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well and that specifically you are dealing with a sore throat, temperature, aphonia (loss of voice) or dysphonia (change in voice) and that you have pain and bumps underneath your jaw line. I am happy to give you some of my thoughts about what might be going on, as well as give you some suggestions about what type of physician you should see. First off, it sounds like you may be dealing with an upper respiratory tract infection by the signs and symptoms that you are describing. The reason I suggest this is that sore throat, inflammation involving your larynx (voice box), and a temperature are common symptoms caused by viruses. The viral infection will cause an immune response which is your body reacting to the infecting agent. This will cause lymph node hypertrophy (swelling and activity of the cells within called lymphocytes) in response to the virus. My guess is that the lumps you feel around your jaw are perifacial lymph nodes that are swollen from your infection. You are correct in wondering if the injuries from your braces might be contributing to the symptoms that you have. That is because mucosal injury and inflammation (such as trauma of the gums from braces) can cause lymph node hypertrophy. I recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to take more of a history and examine you thoroughly, which is ultimately what you need to get an accurate diagnosis.