ZocdocAnswersDo I have a brain tumor?

Question

Do I have a brain tumor?

Been having painful headaches for a few weeks, vision problems, hearing loss. Now I have muscle spasms and lightheadedness. I know it's not migraine.

Answer

Anytime you have the new onset of headaches that you have not had in the past, you should always be evaluated by a physician. Headaches that have been going on for a few weeks accompanied by vision problems and hearing loss which represent neurological symptoms should warrant an MRI of the brain. These symptoms very well could be a migraine headache as migraines can present as many different types of symptoms. The report of muscle spasms especially if these are muscle spasms on the back of the neck could mean that you're headaches are due to a tension type headache or occipital neuralgia. In any case I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a neurologist. He or she can listen to the description of your headaches and this alone may provide you with a diagnosis. In addition you can get a comprehensive neurological exam. If the diagnosis is at all in question, then the neurologist will likely want to get head imaging to rule out a brain tumor. Statistically, this is not likely to be a brain tumor but there is no way to tell for sure. If the brain MRI is normal, then you can get treatment for these headaches or undergo additional testing if needed. Good luck.