ZocdocAnswersI was diagnosed with hypothyroidsm and high cholesteral. Are they related?

Question

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsm and high cholesteral. Are they related?

I was just diagnosed with both - My dr. is putting me on both thyroid and lowering cholesterol medicine. My question is they are related. I am willing to start the thyroid medicine, take it for six weeks and go back in and have it tested and regulated. But wouldn't it also lower my cholesterol a bit along with healthy eating and exercise? I don't want to take cholesterol medicine. I would go back in in 6 weeks and have my cholesterol tested too, to see if it lowered naturally.

Answer

Thanks for your question. Yes, they can be related, but it is important to discuss it with your doctor. A low level of thyroid hormone can change quite a few different things in your body, and one of the most obvious is your metabolism. In addition to your energy level, hair loss, skin changes, etc, you may note that some of your different lab values can change as well. One that is commonly noted is high cholesterol. It is also important to note that high cholesterol is common in and of itself, and so your thyroid levels may not be the only thing at fault. It is more likely that you have elevated cholesterol if you have a family history of high cholesterol or other conditions that can be signs of this problem. Because high cholesterol can happen to people independent of thyroid problems, and because high cholesterol has been linked to serious medical problems such as heart disease, it is not appropriate to ignore the high cholesterol. Working with your doctor to discuss your concerns and thoughts is appropriate, however, and he or she may feel that a trial of just one medication may be appropriate for the time being. This will rely on number of factors, so please speak with your doctor.