ZocdocAnswersI have rectal pain. What could it be?

Question

I have rectal pain. What could it be?

First it was some minor testicle discomfort then it moved and I've had abdominal pain on the bottom right side for about a week. I went to my doctor and said it was nothing but said I should get a sonogram(?) and a blood test. This upcoming tuesday I'll get the test. More recently for the past two days Ive had some rectum pain (somewhat of a throbbing pain) and urges to have bowl movements when theres nothing there. Ive also noticed that my stool is green but that could be from the milk im drinking. In fact the pain doesnt feel exactly on the rectum but right near the tailbone. Everything about the stool seems fine except for the fact that its green, no blood, no constipation or diharea. Just discomfort (sometimes an acute pain in/on anus) and a constant urge to do #2. My parents say im over-reacting but I just want to make sure.

Answer

Abdominal pain and perianal pain can have multiple causes, some benign and others more serious, therefore I recommend that you followup with your doctor to undergo that appropriate tests and treatment if necessary. Abdominal pain in the right lower quadrant can have multiple sources. Recent strenuous activity or injury to the abdomen can result in muscles strain and bruising to the area. Other causes of pain here can include irritation of the small intestine, colon and appendix. Appendicitis typically presents as pain near the umbilicus that migrates to the right lower quadrant, and is associated with pain, decreased appetite and tenderness to touch over that portion of the abdomen. Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the intestines usually caused by infection that can result in abdominal pain and diarrhea. Rectal pain is usually considered to have other causes. In young healthy men, rectal pain can be a result of external hemorrhoids, which are often associated with bleeding. Pelvic floor spasm and chronic pelvic pain are poorly understood processes that result in perianal pain, and can have radiation to the genitalia as well. Additionally, frequent defecation or attempt to defecate can result in strain of the pelvic floor muscles, which can cause muscle fatigue and soreness. In older adults, in rare cases malignancy of the colon or rectum can lead to rectal pain, however, this is often associated with rectal bleeding and in some instances, constipation or change in caliber of stool.