ZocdocAnswersI didn't walk for a week and know when I run in PE I have bad leg pains. Why?

Question

I didn't walk for a week and know when I run in PE I have bad leg pains. Why?

Im 15 and in high school. I was sick for the week.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that your doctor or other medical professional would best be able to answer. There are several causes for what you have described but the most concerning one is that you may have a deep venous thrombosis in your leg which is causing the pain. Even though you are quite young, not walking or moving around can cause blood clots to form in your legs and this can cause some pain and even travel up into your lungs causing a serious situation known as a pulmonary embolism. Because of this concerning issue, you should be evaluated by your primary care doctor as soon as possible so that he can decide what the underlying cause of this leg pain is and whether further testing is required such as doppler studies of the leg or other tests. You are at a higher risk for developing DVTs if you are obese, have cancer or other inflammatory issues, are pregnant, or have been immobile for a long period of time. Other causes are possible but outside the scope of this discussion. It is suggested that you are evaluated as soon as possible because of the concerning symptoms you have described.