Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have pain in right arm and chest. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have pain in right arm and chest. What could it be?


Hi, I have a dull aching pain across my whole right arm and right side of my chest, but it is mainly concentrated near my shoulder. I also experience some pain in the right side of my chest near my shoulder when I breathe in heavily. I've been having this pain for around 3 days and it is causing me a lot of discomfort. Any ideas of what this could be?


Pain in the chest is a concerning symptom because it is close to your heart, so please speak with your primary care doctor. The most important thing to rule out is a myocardial infarction, which is a heart attack. People who have heart attacks usually complain of dull pressure pain in the left side of the chest, and have the pain radiate to their left jaw or left arm. They also have nausea, and diaphoresis. The pain can be intermittent. Since your pain is on the right side and in your right shoulder, it is atypical of a myocardial infarction but you cannot rule out this possibility. Another medication condition that should be ruled out is a pulmonary embolus. That can cause chest pains with deep inspiration; however, it is usually a sharp pain, not a dull pain. People who suffer from a pulmonary embolus have palpitations, and shortness of breath. Another condition to keep in mind is a pneumothorax, which is a puncture in the lung. This can cause you have to pain when taking a deep breath, but it is also usually a sharp pain. The more benign causes of your symptoms could be musculoskeletal pains. People can get this from exercises too intensely without stretching or lifting very heavy objects. If this is the case, ibuprofen can help. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to be evaluated.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.