Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have an ear piercing infection? What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have an ear piercing infection? What should I do?


Puss is coming out of the ear. It hurts, when i touch it , i feel a hard ball inside. Please help. I don't have money to go to the hospital...


Unfortunately, you will need to see a doctor for this problem. This means that you will need to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician or general doctor at an urgent care. If these are not available to you, then you will need to be seen in the emergency department. The reason for this is that it sounds like you have a significant infection in your ear secondary to the ear piercing. Infections such as this could because by a variety of different bacteria, but the most common type of bacteria include those such as staff for strep. If it is a staff infection, then you may be developing a small abscess in your ear that would need surgically drained. This obviously cannot be done at home. If there is no abscess, or even if there is, you might also need in an antibiotic to help treat the infection. Again, this is not something that you can do at home and not something you can do without the assistance of a doctor. If you let this go, the infection could worsen and potentially cause significant damage to your ear. In addition, the infection might spread, causing problems in the areas adjacent to your ear. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.