Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can somatotropin help a teenager grow taller?"

ZocdocAnswersCan somatotropin help a teenager grow taller?


My a fourteen year old daughter is 5ft 4 inches. Me, her mom is 5ft 5 and her dad is 5ft 10. She wants to be taller, like at least her dads height. I was looking up drugs that make you taller and I had came across a drug called HGH/somatotropin. Will this make her taller? And if so what drugs could I get a prescription to use somatotropin to make her taller. And this is not a good way or affective way for her to be taller than can you give me some advice or what I should use to help her grow taller. Thank you


I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your daughter's pediatrician. HGH stands for human growth hormone. Another name for it is somatotropin. This is the hormone that our body needs uses naturally to increase our height. The medication is used occasionally for people that have significance short stature. However at 5'4", your daughter does not meet that criteria. In fact she is exactly the height she should be considering the height of both you and her father. Therefore, there are no doctors that I know of that were prescribed this medication which can have significant side effects to increase the height of a person that is at their natural height. In addition, at the age of 14 your daughters growth plates may be starting to fuse. What this means is that your daughter might not get any taller with and without a hormone such as HGH. If they have not fused yet then she might get a little taller but not much. In fact, I would probably suggest that she is not likely to get much more than a half-inch taller based on the heights of her father and yourself. Her predicted height as it stands right now is 5'4.5". Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your daughter's pediatrician. This is a question that your pediatrician certainly has answered before and will be able to explain in more detail.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.