ZocdocAnswersI have been having recurring ear infections in my left ear for the last month or so. What is wrong with me?

Question

I have been having recurring ear infections in my left ear for the last month or so. What is wrong with me?

Hiya I have been having recurring ear infections in my left ear for the last month or so. I was given amoxillan the first time and I did not complete the treatment the ear infection recurred so I just carried on with the treatment of amoxicillin until it ran out ad went back to the doctors she said my ear was slightly inflamed and gave me stronger antibiotics as I did not finish my last treatment! However i am so busy I never finished taking these either (I think I only had quarter of the tablets (8) ) now my infection had recurred again probably because of not finishing treatment. I have had a bright yellow runny earwax last night it's dried out a bit now but my ear painful to touch! I'm wondering is it safe to continue with what the doctor prescribed me ( it was co-amoxiclav 500/124mg) I have 13 tablets left out of a 21 tablet box! I have had a cold also so the cold could have caused the ear problem?

Answer

Thanks for your question. So sorry to hear about your recurrent complaints and I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Ear infections can generally be classified into two types: infections of the outer ear and infections of the inner ear. The outer ear can frequently become infected and lead to pain when you touch the outside of the ear. The ear itself can be inflamed and red, and there can be a foul drainage that can come out of the ear. These are most often known as swimmer's ear, or otitis externa. These most often require cleaning of the ear canal by an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon), and also the use of a topical ear drop antibiotic. Antibiotics by mouth tend to be less effective against this type of infection. The next type of infection is an infection of the middle ear, or otitis media. This is what little kids will frequently get, and can cause severe, boring, pain in the middle of the ear. The pain is not generally worse when you touch the outside of the ear. This kind of infection does tend to improve with PO antibiotics. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.