search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I went off birth control and I don't have a period since October. Is this normal?"

ZocdocAnswersI went off birth control and I don't have a period since October. Is this normal?

Question

I went off birth control in august, I had a period October 1st , but I haven't had one since , it's be 2 months is that normal ?

Answer

I would say that overall this is not normal, so it is important for you to make an appointment with your OB/GYN. Most women who stop birth control pills usually regain a normal cycle the next month and then continue regularly, assuming that they were regular before the start of the pills. If you have skipped a period having recently come off birth control, my first thought is that you should probably have a pregnancy test. If you have been sexually active since you went off of birth control then getting a pregnancy test is priority number one. The most common cause of a missed period Is pregnancy. If you are not pregnant, and you continue to have irregular cycles or you miss several months in a row, then other causes of this phenomenon should be looked into. The most common cause of irregular cycle is a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is a syndrome that includes cysts on the ovaries, frequent cycles without ovulation that result in irregularity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and difficulty losing weight. I would suggest that your next step should be to schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. Your OBGYN's first move will be to obtain a pregnancy test to make sure that you are not pregnant. If you are not, then a physical exam may be all that is needed to determine why you are missing these periods. Good luck.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.