ZocdocAnswersI am getting dizzy while using a tampon. Should I see the doctor?

Question

I am getting dizzy while using a tampon. Should I see the doctor?

I am toward the end of my period and last night I wore a light pad to bed since my flow slows down when I sleep/lay down. This morning, I put in a regular size tampon around 8:30 and about an hour later I started to feel dizzy, mainly when I laid down. I was not sure if I was experiencing vertigo, which I usually never have, so I didn't do much about it. I did not realize that it was a symptom of TSS. I continued to feel slightly, not severely, dizzy throughout the day. I had the tampon in for about 7 1/2 almost 8 hours, which I know is pushing it, and I just took it out after considering it could be TSS. My question is should I be seeking medical attention or not? I am in college and the health center is closed so I would have to go to the hospital. I don't want to get super sick just because I did not want to make a big deal of going to the hospital. If I need to go then I need to go. Thanks!

Answer

If you are worried about a change in your health or a new symptom, then it is always a good idea to seek medical attention. Toxic shock syndrome can be life-threatening, so if you are concerned that you are experiencing the rapid onset of new symptoms in the context of tampon use, then being evaluated by a physician is prudent. In particular, if you were to also notice any fevers or chills, skin changes, GI distress, or mental confusion, you should get to the nearest emergency department immediately. The mild dizziness that you describe is not a classic description of TSS, but without a review of your physical exam, vital signs, and a thorough history of this episode and your past health history, it is also impossible to say that it is not. in this scenario, seeking medical attention--even if it turns out this is for reassurance only--is the best course of action. Hopefully this will turn out to be something mild and self-limited, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. In addition, it may be wise to make an appointment with your regular doctor during regular business hours of the health center to go over this episode so that if something similar happens again you have a plan.