ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when you have a constant pain on the left side under rib cage?

Question

What does it mean when you have a constant pain on the left side under rib cage?

It's been hurting for two days now and hurts enough to wake me up. I'm a 31 year old female

Answer

You are a young female with left pain under your left rib. There could be a number of different causes for your pain, os it is important to be evaluated by your primary care provider. The structures that are there are bones, muscles, and lungs. Parts of the colon, kidney, and spleen are there as well. Assuming that you are a young healthy female, the most common cause is likely a musculoskeletal etiology, such as pulled muscle. The important conditions to rule out in a young female is a pulmonary embolus. Females who smoke or take birth control could be at risk for a clot in the clots which can cause pain where the lung resides. Usually, people who suffer from a pulmonary embolus have other symptoms such as shortness of breath and palpitations. The lining of the lung could be irritated either from an inflammatory or infectious etiology such as pneumonia, which is an infection by a bacteria or virus. If you have pneumonia, you could also experience symptoms of cough, fever, and fatigue. Spleen and kidney disease are less common in young females. You should make an appointment with your primary care provider to have these symptoms evaluated. If the symptoms persist, they make do additional tests such imaging and blood work.