Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I've been fighting depression for a long time now. What can help me? I tried counseling but it doesn't work."

ZocdocAnswersI've been fighting depression for a long time now. What can help me? I tried counseling but it doesn't work.


Iv been fighting depression for a long time now ( over two years) on and off, it's starting to come back again and I don't want it to get as bad is it use to be. I use to cut, think of suicide daily, no sleep and it would even make me sick because I felt so bad, I can't go to the doctors office because my parents think I'm joking and laugh at me about it but I'm already starting the feel the effects of the depression again and I was wondering if there was any over the counter medicines I could try. I really don't want to go through this again and I think some sort of medication would be best.


This is a good question. It is very important that you seek medical care as soon as possible. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor or psychiatrist if you have one. Sit your parents down and discuss with them how serious your symptoms are and how it is affecting your life. The doctor will ask you many questions about your mood and accompanying symptoms and do a full physical exam. Depression can be a very debilitating disease that can affect every aspect of your life, and if not treated, can sometimes lead to suicide. Your symptoms sound serious and you need to resume counseling and possibly an antidepressant. If you did not feel that counseling was effective in the past, perhaps you need to change therapists. A good relationship with your counselor is very important. Symptoms of depression include sad mood, insomnia or changes in your sleep, low energy, no motivation, feelings of guilt, and changes in your appetite to name a few. If you are having serious suicidal thoughts you need to call 911 and have emergency care. Again, it is very important to seek care before your symptoms get worse so talk to your parents or a trusted adult and get the help you deserve.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.