Have had a cough for some time and my now chest is very soar. What do I do?

have pre heart condition.. soar to breath at times sometimes i can tell when cough is coming other no..tried everything
Sorry to hear about your persistent cough. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Coughs can come from a variety of sources. Perhaps the one that is best recognized is the infectious cough. This sort of cough can come from either a virus or a bacteria (among other possibilities!), and can last even after the primary insult has been treated. For example, it is not uncommon from someone to have an upper respiratory tract infection that results in a cough that persists for a period of weeks, even after the other symptoms have resolved. It is important to see someone if it persists beyond a normal amount of recovery time. Another, less recognized, type of cough comes from irritation of the upper aerodigestive tract. Some people will have sensitivities to smells that can create a problematic cough, and others will have acid reflux, sometimes even silent reflux, that results in a chronic cough. Over time, the cough becomes almost reflexive, and can become hard to treat. There are other causes as well, such as medications (including ace inhibitors) and heart conditions. It is important to speak with your doctor to determine what the specific reason for your cough is, and to determine what needs to be done. Please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021