ZocdocAnswersDo I have Asperger's Syndrome?

Question

Do I have Asperger's Syndrome?

I was reading some information about AS and what I found out was shockingly similar to the way I am. I can't carry in a conversation with someone to save my life. As soon as they start talking to me it's like my mind goes blank and I don't know what to say. But bring up something about video games or superpowers and I can talk all day long. I was Mia diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger as well as depression. I was also reading about how people with as tend to be clumsy and have speech problems. I am super clumsy like my body is to big for me sometimes. Also when I was younger I had a speech impediment untill was 13. I was tested as extremely gifted in the 5th grade but instead of being out into the gifted class I was placed in special Ed because my teachers thought there was something wrig with me. I haven't been able to keep a job or more than a few months at a time and haven't been able to make any kind of connection or friendship with anybody.

Answer

This is a very interesting question. It is important for you to speak with your doctor about this concern. I want to give you a little bit more information about Asperger's and then discuss some of the things you mention in your question. Asperger's syndrome, is also known as, an autism spectrum disorder. In general, the clinical features of Asperger's are an inability to socialize, a lack of interest in socializing, and extreme behavioral rigidity (very extreme reactions to changes in schedule, things not going as planned, etc). Most people are diagnosed by the time they are 11 years old, or so, though most parents of people with Asperger's say they suspected a problem by the time the child was 30 months. In other words, you don't mention how old you are, but the fact that you have made it in to at least your teen years, and you had some testing (you say you were diagnosed with ADHD and depression), makes me think that it is slightly less likely that you have it. The symptoms you describe, of your mind going blank in conversation but having a lot to say about certain topics you're very interested in, could be due to a variety of different things. One thing is just being introverted. We all have ranges of personality and everyone is social in a slightly different way. Also, I would be curious to know what kind of speech problems you have. People with Asperger's typically form speech without a problem, but have difficulty understanding the meaning of language. Overall, given everything you've mentioned, I think its less likely that you have Asperger's but since it is a spectrum disorder with many different types of manifestations, it's certainly possible. I would advise you to go to your doctor and be referred for thorough testing, as you may find great helpful resources if you are diagnosed.