ZocdocAnswersI am trying to conceive. Can you get pregnant if you have sex the day after your period?

Question

I am trying to conceive. Can you get pregnant if you have sex the day after your period?

Answer

This is a great questions and I recommend discussing it further with your OBGYN. Generally speaking, in order to conceive, you should have sex within about 5 days of when you ovulate. This is because sperm can live for up to around five days inside the woman's uterus and fallopian tubes before they are no longer able to participate in conception. The female ovum after ovulation and live in the fallopian tube for about 24 hours. Thus as long as you have sex within the five days prior to ovulation or perhaps on the day of ovulation then there is a chance that you could get pregnant. Now the answer to your question depends on how long your period was in general ovulation occurs out day 14 after the start of her. Her last seven days and you had sex on the eighth day and unlikely that she would get pregnant. However, it is not uncommon for women to ovulate a few days before day 14. If you are trying to get pregnant the best way to time intercourse is with a standard ovulation detector that can be purchased at a grocery store. It detects a hormone that spikes just before ovulation. If you are not trying to get pregnant, then I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN so that you can get a prescription for a hormonal birth control.