ZocdocAnswersI went to an optometrist recently to get a regular eye exam. She told me that the vision in my right eye was very compromised. Should I get a second opinion?

Question

I went to an optometrist recently to get a regular eye exam. She told me that the vision in my right eye was very compromised. Should I get a second opinion?

I went to an optometrist recently to get a regular eye exam. She told me that the vision in my right eye was very compromised. She tried fitting me with a -13 lens and that didn't seem to help. I forgot to mention to her that my last doctor mentioned something about astigmatism. She also couldn't get the autorefactor to work on my right eye. When I cover my left eye, things do get blurry, and I am unable to see, but that makes me think that my astigmatism is getting worse. If she didn't alter the cylinder or axis, would this explain why she thought this? Should I get a second opinion?

Answer

Thanks for your question. There is certainly nothing wrong with getting a second opinion if you are ever concerned about any medical issue. In this situation, where your vision may have some serious problems, it may be appropriate to speak with an ophthalmologist, who is specifically trained to treat serious problems with the eyes and will have some advanced training with regards to this problem. While you are correct in questioning whether or not some errors in the testing of your vision could be contributing to the poor vision that you were diagnosed with, it is also important to recognize that most optometrists are very well qualified to check your vision and it would be quite unusual for a serious misdiagnosis to occur. If, however, you feel that your vision was found to be worse than you truly think it is, a second opinion is an excellent way to clarify your concerns and get the answers that you need. Speaking with your doctor, and even the optometrist who helped you the first time, will be a great way to start towards getting the answers that you need. Please speak with your doctor, and perhaps and eye doctor as well, about this.