ZocdocAnswersHow do I know if I broke or sprained my hand?

Question

How do I know if I broke or sprained my hand?

My hand it's very tingly where I might've fractured it I can still move it so I know it's not broken but not sure if I sprained it

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a specialist in hands such as an orthopedic surgeon. In general, your doctor is best able to evaluate you and decide whether you have a sprained or broken hand. There may be a broken bone but you are still able to move it and so it is important that you are evaluated so they can decide whether further testing needs to be conducted such as x-rays, and what treatment options are available such as a splint. It is unclear from your question what your age or comorbidities and also where your fracture or injury was in your hand so here are some general ideas to consider and options for symptomatic treatment while you wait to see your doctor. You can consider NSAIDs or ice or heating packs to apply to your hand if it is painful, and if it is swollen you can elevate it or put some pressure on it to help with the swelling. It is important to have it checked out, so your doctor can decide whether further treatment is necessary and what they recommend.