ZocdocAnswersMy girlfriend has a tumor in her head. Can she be playing any sports?

Question

My girlfriend has a tumor in her head. Can she be playing any sports?

She is 15, she will be getting an operation in about 6 months, I don't know exactly how big or where the tumor is, what can happen?

Answer

Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about the tumor. If the tumor is not going to have surgery for another 6 months, then it would appear that this is something that is less likely to be something that is immediately life threatening. In this sort of situation, it is very important that you speak with her doctor or surgeon about this question, as there is a very large number of different possibilities. It is likely that her doctor would have explained and answered this question to her already, as there are some situations in which trauma would be a great risk, and there are others in which it would not be at any more risk than anyone else in the general population. Her surgeon would understand the various risks and would then be able to help you understand the risks of whether or not sports or other strenuous activity would outweigh the benefits of exercise and activity. He or she will likely have a list of things to do and things to avoid after and before surgery. Please speak with her surgeon and even the patient about this question to make sure that she is well.