What did I do to my knee?

I was at my diving meet and I was in the locker room when I slipped and fell really hard. I couldn't move it or walk at all until around 10 minutes after the fall. I went on and competed at my diving meet but I continue to have severe knee pain. I can bend my leg and I can walk with a limp. The pain is the most extreme and intense when I bear weight on it especially when going up stairs.
I am sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds as if the pain is quite severe and significantly impacts your life. In order to determine the cause of your pain, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a physical exam. In addition, you may require other studies like an x-ray or MRI. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. The knee is a complex joint with many structures that can cause pain following an injury. It is possible you suffered a deep bruise affecting a bone in the joint. Your knee contains several bursa, or fluid filled sacs that provide cushioning for the joint. Damage to one of these can cause swelling and inflammation. You may have suffered damage to one of the ligaments of the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. Injuries to these ligaments often require surgery for repair. You may have suffered a tear of the meniscus, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. Management of your pain could range from rest, ice, and oral pain medications to extensive surgery. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to see an orthopedic surgeon.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons