ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my throat?

Question

What is wrong with my throat?

My throat has been bothering me for the past 5 days or so and has kinda gotten better, but the symptoms have really just been changing. My throat is red and some white spots, one in particular is on my uvula. It doesn't really hurt when I swallow and I don't have a horse voice. Right now it feels like something is stuck in my throat. I have not had any other symptoms like fever, coughing, or cold symptoms. I don't have insurance so I want to make sure that its not something viral before I go to the doctor and spend lots of money to treat something I can treat with rest and over the counter medicine.

Answer

Thanks for your question, and I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling perfect. It is always best to determine which things are important to discuss with your doctor and which things can be followed from home, perhaps calling the doctor for help as needed. Most doctors will be available to some degree to answer questions about whether or not a person needs to come in, although the safest thing is always to speak with your doctor if you are concerned. There are many different explanations for redness in the throat, such as infections, trauma, breathing with your mouth open while you sleep, etc. White spots inside of the mouth can be from some of the same things as well, and there are obvious other outliers such as tumors and other things that are less likely to present without more a long term history of slowly progressing. Some of the common fixes for this sort of thing include gargling with salt water, trying an antacid to see if it helps, and other common over the counter remedies. Of course, these are only appropriate if you have no other, more concerning, symptoms, and so please speak with your doctor.