Why do I hear a funny noise in my larynx?

My voice box makes a funny sound usually when I exhale and my neck seems to always crack when I move it a certain wy
I am sorry to hear that you are worried about a funny noise that your larynx makes and that your neck cracks with a certain neck movement, and this has you worried. I am happy to give you some general information, and some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to examine you and take more of a medical history, both of which are necessary for an accurate diagnosis. As I am sure you are aware, the larynx (or voice box) is a very complex structure. It has three main functions: 1. It is the narrowest part of the adult airway, so it is integral in breathing, 2. The most obvious function is voice production, 3. It is necessary for swallowing as it separates the airway from the alimentary (digestive) tract. Since it has many different functions, there are a multitude of different problems that can also arise from the larynx. This is why it is very important that when there is a problem, you are examined by a specialist in the variations of normal, so that they can help tell you if what you are having is in fact an abnormality. An ENT is best suited to do this.

• Dr. John Austin
    Dr. John Austin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    7200 Wyoming Springs Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78681
  • Dr. Bradley Johnson
    Dr. Bradley Johnson DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3366 Oakdale Ave N
    Robbinsdale, MN 55422
  • Dr. John Bennett
    Dr. John Bennett MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102