ZocdocAnswersShould my period last more than a week?

Question

Should my period last more than a week?

I have been menstruating for 11 days now. The las period y had was a little over 2 years ago due to pregnancy and breastfeeding. After giving birth i had the isual bleeding and it stopped until now that i got my period but i am concerned that has lasted 11 days and still going my periods will isually las 5 days. Is this a concern matter? Thank you

Answer

Some women will have longer or shorter menstrual cycles than others, and what is normal for one woman may not be normal for another. In your case, it sounds like your cycle has been irregular for quite some time because of the hormonal influences of pregnancy and breastfeeding, so it may not be unusual to have some irregularity with the interval and duration as you start menstruating again. You may well find that your next cycle will be closer to your "regular" five days. However, it is always important to make sure that with heavier periods you are not becoming anemic and that there aren't any other issues at play. In your case, the best thing to do would be to discuss this with your OB/GYN. He or she will know your history and can reassure you that nothing else needs to be done. If you haven't had a period in several years it is unlikely that you will become anemic after just one heavy cycle, but you can discuss this with your doctor. In addition, now that you appear to be regaining your menstrual cycles, this would also be a good time to go over your contraceptive options with your OB/GYN to make sure that you aren't facing an unexpected pregnancy.