ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to not have your period for the past 3 months??

Question

Is it normal to not have your period for the past 3 months??

I am 17 and I haven't had my period for the past 3 month I had have spotting for like 2 days also I'm still. Virgin . I am also very active I workout each day for 1hr and I go to high school full time I also try to eat healthy all the time .

Answer

There are three (or more) possible causes for you losing your period, and I recommend that you be evaluated by an OB/GYN. The first of these is obviously impossible if you have not engaged in sexual intercourse. I am talking of course about pregnancy, the most common cause of missing your period. If this is not a possibility, then I think there are two other likely possibilities. There is a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome which is a common cause of secondary amenorrhea, or losing your period after you've had it. While I certainly can't tell if this is the possibility in you without seeing you directly, I think that it is most likely not. I think the most likely cause of you missing your period Is the fact that you work out each day for one hour. This kind of activity can burn a lot of your body's fat stores which then results in a change in your pituitary gland. If your pituitary gland does not think that you have enough fat stores to be able to sustain a pregnancy, that it will shut down your cycle. The only way to tell for sure, is for you to tone down your activity and see if your cycle returns. For this problem, I think that you should be seen by an OB/GYN.